Monday, March 23, 2009

Transformer Room for the Boys

My journey of design and some notes of how cheap I am.
The boys have now successfully shared a room for quite some time, and we decided that it would only be fair that they moved to the largest room.... my Art room. I was sad at first to move into a smaller space to work in, but it all worked out. In fact, Leonardo da Vinci once said that your art studio should be a small space so the mind gets less destracted and you can stay more focused. That being done, I looked around and realized that the room was a real mess. Not only had the boys attacked the walls with their finger paints, but I learned I was a real messy painter myself, splatters of my work all over the place!
So my mind set to work to try to think of something cool to do. I tried taking the boys to Home depot and let them pick the colors, but was mortified and could not think of anyway to make those colors work. Sorry JoJo. I was looking at pictures on HGTV's web site and saw a picture of the childs room done by Kim Myles... Loved it! I loved the colors and the metalic center. I learned that she used car detailing tape and it could be found at your local car shop. Yeah, no luck. I found some online for $9, but then It was another $9 in shipping... and only 5 ft long (the room is 10x20). So then I talked to my neighbor (Amber) because she used sheet metal in her salon and I loved it. It would be super cheap to go and have it cut, get all I needed for only $16. But the safety issue with corners and the thought of my trying to install that scared me. Preston from the beginning said "just spray paint it". I laughed at him. I then remembered that Ralph Lauren carries it's Regent Metalic paints (that are really cool) at a whopping $42 a gallon.
I'm too cheap for that.
Here is where I realize that Preston was right.
I forgot that there is now metallic spray paint. I got the paint swatch for the Ralph Lauren paint and took it with me. I was so excited when I found that Rustoleom carries a ''Hammered Silver" spray paint that looked EXACTLY like the paint swatch, texture and all! For $6!!!! (I did use 2, but it was only $12!!!)
So after convincing Preston and earning the money I set to work. We have all been sick and so it set us all back a bit, but I finally got it all together! I am really happy how it turned out and the boys say they love it. Of course, the theme is Transformers... what else!?
Someday they will get new furniture and an actual dresser not made of plastic. But until then, this is what we've got!
Joseph's work/ coloring/ school area
I got a can of chalk board paint and sprayed the closet door. It has already been put to use and the boys love it! We took out one door so that half is opened to their secret Transformer reading area. We have a couple of folding camp bed pad thingies and they fit perfectly in there when not in use. It's fun.
I used a torn up gutted book as a shelf display. The toys are those pesky McDonald toys, and yes, you are not mistaken, that is indeed Cringer/ Battle cat, Heman's mighty Cat. (yes, Preston's original). Joseph happy in his new room
I tried to get a close up of the silver paint. It was stinky and my finger ached from the spray paint application, but it all worked out! ART WORK
OK, I have to take a moment to talk about the art in the room (my favorite). If you need ideas for art work in your kids' room, here are a couple. 1) have them make some of it. The large paintings in the room are their 2 year old paintings. When my boys are around 2 years, they get their own canvas and get to have fun with it. Now because their attention span is short, this usually goes on for awhile. Just set out 1 or 2 colors each time and let them go at it. It is fun to watch, fun for them, and creates a priceless work of art. I used the cheap canvases from Walmart 16x20 3 pack for $7 and kids paint.
The smaller arr work is my money saver here. I love these frames and have used them in the past for other paintings. They are simple gallery style frames that I get at Michaels (the genereic ones) They are $6.99 for a 2 pack, but Michaels always either has 50% frames sale, or 20-50% coupons... I am always ready to pounce on those deals. I got for at the discount so, 4 for $7. The mats I used a 59 cent poster board. I took a little extra time to cut out the sizes with straight edge and exacto knife. Mats are cheap, but four at $2.50 = $10 vs 59 cents???! yeah.
For the pictures I used a book that had been used and loved and destroyed. So this is my great idea. for unique art work that is theme specific... search out old books, comic books etc. Thrift stores always have a large amount of previously loved books for super cheap (sometimes even as low as 10 cents). Sometimes the covers work perfectly. So there they are 4 awesome pictures for less than $8 (less than the price of just the mats!!!!)
The last is Giuseppetron. Preston would tell Joseph good night stories and he created 'Giuseppetron' the mighty Autobot. (Giuseppe is Joseph in Italian). Joseph got to pick out what he did and what he transformed into. He is a fighter jet with jet toes and a big gun. This is my design for him. (he loved it).
It was so fun doing this! I had to share. Until next time.

5 comments:

  1. i love the paint!! it looks great! the spray paint was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did you get a clean border with the silver spray paint? The room looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of painters tape and brown paper sacks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to do the same thing - don't understand about brown paper sack though!Is the border about 5 or 6 inches wide?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used the sacks (cut them so they were flat) and taped them above and below the tape lines... the spray paint can have some extra spray (back splash), and this prevented it from getting on the other paint. I believe I did a 6 inch border.

    ReplyDelete