Thursday, March 19, 2009

A quick book review

At Christmas time I took a few moments to look threw the countless books my Mother in Law has for some reading. I chose one that looked promising and she said that she loved it, so I borrowed it. I was going to read it then, but then I got really sick. The book being about the Plague, I thought I would wait. Well, time went on and I ended up reading The Aeneid (which is awesome and is the best of the Iliad and Odyssey even though it is by Virgil and not Homer).
Well I finished it and started to finally read "Year of Wonders". It was a nice break from reading the ancient Greek Mythology book in terms of language and style. I started reading one afternoon and finished the next morning. Here are my thoughts:
For Story telling and the ability to keep you interested 5 stars.
For grammar and use of big words with out it looking like you kept a thesaurus next to you like
lot of authors 5 stars
Thought provoking, making you wonder what you would do in the situation 5 stars
Character development even though you despise what she has done to them 5 stars
Finding the ability to use the word sh** many many times in it's literal meaning 5 stars
Finding a way to bring sex and describing it in detail while telling a story about people dying of the Plague, even if you're a Pastor, 5 stars
Finding a way in the end to destroy all the good characteristics you have built up in your characters, and spinning the story way off in left field making you go, why in the world did you do that and slander the name of the real guy that actually lived?? What, and Arabian midwife who married a man and became one of his many wive's while fleeing from her past life and EVERYONE giving up on the faith and religious beliefs? He never what with his wife?????
5 stars
Over all I did like the book and I cried at times. It's just the book took a weird turn of events and left me unfulfilled and a little perturbed. Do I recommend it? Yeah. After all, it is just my opinion. I encourage all to get their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment