Friday, June 19, 2009

Another child's book, or level one reading adventure

I had this idea for a kids book the other day and ran the idea over with Preston. Of course, his genius took off with it and soon we had collaberated a pretty good idea. Ok, so I had the title and basic idea and some pictures and he came up with the rest. I will refrain from too much detail as this is a public blog and I am not that stupid. The basic plot involves a little girl, some teeth and detectives. That's about it. So Working thru some drafts, I am having a hard time deciding on what to do. I can do a 15-20 page short story, or go into more detail and explore the little girls detective abilities and short comings and have a pretty compelling story. This would be targeted to the beginer readers (1'st-2nd possible 3rd grade) levels. I would still include some drawings in the book. It would be comparable to the Geronimo Stilton books. I think this girl has potential to investigate many things. This could be fun and a fun way for Joseph to start reading. I'm not focused on doing this for money, so I am just excited to put it together. If money comes I will not complain, but I am excited to see that there are alternative ways to self publish with out spending a fortune, and giving me the oportunity to put it into book form that doesn't involve me manuevering a stapler.

2 comments:

  1. Hollie - You are so talented. You could even start with a shorter book and have the character evolve into longer books, that way the readers can follow her as they grow up. Also, my granddad has some self published books, so if you have any questions I have a great source. My mom helped with a lot of them, so I can ask her. If you get it together I would love to see a copy some day...I am sure it will be hilarious!

    ReplyDelete