Friday, September 17, 2010

This is why we are here

I have a friend who recently miscarried, which breaks my heart. She asked if I could take and pick her daughter up from preschool while she went to the Dr.'s. This is an easy task, but her daughter is in my sons same class, and they get a long so it was a no brainer, no big deal. She was running late, so she asked if her daughter could come home with me for a few minutes, and of course a no brainer again. She offered to pay me for those few minutes and I said that was rediculous. When she came, her daughter still wanted to play, so they both stayed at my house for awhile. OK... now yesterday I spent ALL day in the kitchen making 30+ mini cakes, 4 batches of marshmallow fondant and a big double batch of buttercream frosting for the cake class I am doing tonight. Add that mess to 2 days of prior laziness and 3 kids... yeah, it was BAD. So what does my friend do? She starts CLEANING my kitchen for me. If you know me, you know that it is hard for me to accept help. I felt embarrased that 1) my kitchen looked the way it did and 2) that someone saw it and 3) someone was going to actually volunteer to help me clean it. While I really needed and appreciated the help, I couldn't help but feel guilty. Here she is, straight from the Dr's office, in pain both emotionally and physically... happily cleaning my kitchen with me. We had a good talk and I hoped it helped her feel better and she kept thanking ME, while I kept thanking HER. It was a special moment that 2 mothers shared, who were in need and it was a special experience being on the receiving and giving part at the same time. I can't help but think about how this is what we should focus on. It isn't in the grand moments and gestures that define us, but the simple quiet acts where we truely can help one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment